444 Lofts was originally constructed in the early 1900’s as the ACME Tea Company which incorporated in 1917 and merged with four small Philadelphia grocery stores and became a holding company. It operated chains of drugstores and supermarkets (including Acme Markets) throughout the country, growing to some 1,800 stores by 1925. It was the firm’s primary headquarters for a while. Over the years it was used for a variety of businesses including a shoe manufacturing company, finalizing it’s commercial economic use as a large file storage facility. In 2004, Orens Brothers purchased the building and converted it into the quintessential industrial loft style condominium building integrating original authentic features such as polished concrete floors, exposed concrete pillars and ceiling purlins, expansive windows and exposed brick walls with modern kitchens with black granite counters and stainless steel appliances, modern tiled expanded bathrooms, exposed spiral ducting, hardwood floors in select units and floor-to-ceiling exterior walls with Juliet doors in select units.