444 Lofts was originally constructed in the early 1900's as the ACME Tea Company which incorporated in 1917 and merged with four small Philadelphia grocery stores and became a holding company. It operated chains of drugstores and supermarkets (including Acme Markets) throughout the country, growing to some 1,800 stores by 1925. It was the firm's primary headquarters for a while. Over the years it was used for a variety of businesses including a shoe manufacturing company, finalizing it's commercial economic use as a large file storage facility. In 2004, Orens Brothers purchased the building and converted it into the quintessential industrial loft style condominium building integrating original authentic features such as polished concrete floors, exposed
444 lofts is uniquely situated literally halfway between Olde City and Northern Liberties. In fact, when applying for any type of zoning that required neighborhood approval, both Olde City and Northern Liberties Neighborhood Associations considered it part of their jurisdiction. The building is conveniently located for walking distance to both hot spots of the city.